Out in Blue Fields,
A Year at Hokum Rock Blueberry Farm
by Janice Riley & Stephen Spear
In this series of deft and beautifully written essays, conservationist/farmer Stephen Spear
& journalist/photographer Janice Riley chronicle a year in the life of their Cape Cod farm,
Hokum Rock Blueberry Farm.
You'll find elegant photography, history, encounters with nature, facts, tips, folklore, delicious recipes,
of course, and everything you might want to know about blueberries among these pages.
A heartfelt tribute to a special place beloved by so many.
Published March, 2018 and available through by Schiffer Publishing, locally at Brewster Book Store & Titcomb's Book Store, (among others), online through Amazon, or by emailing us at the farm.
O U R A W A R D S
~ Best Non-Fiction Book Award, Northeast Region, 2019,
National Indie Excellence Awards (NIEA) niealink
~ Best Non-Fiction Book Award, US Northeast Region, 2019,
Gold Medal, Independent Publishers' Book Award (IPPY) ippylink
~ Best Narrative Non-Fiction Book Award, 2018,
Independent Publishers of New England (IPNE) ipnelink
~ Best Book Design Award, 2018,
Graphic Design USA (GDUSA) gdusalink
~ Best Book Cover, The da Vinci Eye Finalist, 2019,
Eric Hoffer Award hofferawardlink
A BOOK TOUR COLLAGE.
B O O K E V E N T S 2 0 1 9
a look back...
January 15, 2019, Tuesday, 1pm, AUTHOR TALK, Chatham Garden Club.
February 9, 2019, Saturday, 3-5 pm, BOOKS AND BUBBLY (Book Signing/ 7 authors), Addison's Art Gallery, Orleans.
March 5, 2019, Tuesday, 1 PM, AUTHOR TALK, Harwich Garden Club, Harwich Community Center.
March 9, 2019, Saturday, 2-4, PEN WOMEN PANEL
Four authors, members of the National League of American Pen Women, Cape Cod Chapter,
discuss writing & publishing, Waquoit Congregational Church, E. Falmouth.
March 23, 2019, Saturday, 12-4, MEET YOUR FARMER DAY, Harwich Community Center, Harwich.
April 9, 2019, Tuesday, 1pm, AUTHOR TALK, Ladies' Guild, Our Lady of the Cape, Brewster.
April 27, 2019, Saturday, 4-6 pm. EARTH DAY CELEBRATION- Addison Arts for the Earth, Addison Art Gallery, Orleans.
April 30, 2019, Tuesday, 6:30pm, Art Week AUTHOR TALK, Writer's Panel/
Cape Cod Branch of Pen Women of America, Cultural Center of Cape Cod, So. Yarmouth.
Followed by a Publisher's Talk, by Schiffer Publishing, Wednesday, May 1st @ 6:30.
May 18th, 2019, Saturday, 8:30- 9:30, HRF FIELD TOUR, Harwich Conservation Trust.
May 23, 2019, Thursday, 7pm, AUTHOR TALK, Eldredge Public Library, Chatham.
May 24, 2019, Friday, 9am, Library Field Trip & Author Talk- Brewster Elementary Schools Kindergarten Classes, Brewster Ladies' Library, Brewster.
July 16th, Tuesday, 10am, HRF FIELD TRIP, Scargo Pre-School.
B O O K E V E N T S 2 0 1 8
a look back...
- March 24, Saturday- MEET YOUR FARMER DAY @ Harwich Community Center from 12-4, Harwich, harwichconservationtrust.org/march-24th-meet-your-local-farmers-event/
- March 28- Official BOOK RELEASE date by Schiffer Publishing for our new book, Out in Blue Fields, A Year at Hokum Rock Farm www.schifferbooks.com/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&search-option=&keyword=out+in+blue+fields&x=0&y=0
- April 8, Sunday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW, Jacob Sears Memorial Library, from 2-3:30 , East Dennis, www.jacobsearslibrary.org
- April 28, Saturday, Dennis Conservation Day, from 12-4/ Possible date for coordinated FARM TOUR is Saturday, April 19, dennisconservationtrust.org
- May 12, Saturday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW, Dennis Memorial Library, 2-3:30, Dennis. www.dennismemoriallibrary.org
- May 20, Sunday, FARM TOUR, sponsored by Dennis Conservation Trust, 10-11 Free & open to the public. dennisconservationtrust.org
- May 22, Tuesday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW, Eastham Library, 6:30- 8pm, Eastham www.easthamlibrary.org
- June 2, Saturday, FARM TOUR, sponsored by the Harwich Conservation Trust, 9-10am, sign up required. hct.ejoinme.org/MyPages/HokumRockBlueberryFarmTourJune22018/tabid/970848/Default.aspx
- June 16, Saturday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW, 11-12, Centerville Library, Centerville, www.centervillelibrary.org
- June 29, Friday, AUTHOR TALK & BOOK SIGNING, Titcomb's Book Shop, 1-2, East Sandwich, www.titcombsbookshop.com
- July 2, Monday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW for Lunch N' Learn, Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, Brewster, from 11:30 -1 www.ccmnh.org
- July 3, Tuesday, BOOK SIGNING, Yellow Umbrella Book Shop, Chatham, from 11-1 yellowumbrellabooks.net
- July 10, Tuesday, BOOK SIGNING, Brewster Book Store, Brewster, 10-12 www.brewsterbookstore.com
- July 17, Tuesday, private event/Scargo Pre-School FIELD TRIP at farm 10-12
- July 17, Tuesday, AUTHOR TALK & SLIDE SHOW, Brewster Ladies' Library, 6-7:60, Brewster, www.brewsterladieslibrary.org
- July 29, BOOK SIGNING, Brewster Farmers' Market, 9-11am, Drummer Boy Park, Brewster.
- August 1, BOOK SIGNING & SAMPLING, Highfield Hall, 1pm, Falmouth. Farm to Table Series- "It's the Berries" with chef P.J. Hamel of King Arthur Flour. www.highfieldhallandgardens.org
- August 23, AUTHOR TALK & BOOK SIGNING, Dennis Public Library, 6:30 pm, Dennisport, www.dennispubliclibrary.org
- September 14-16, AUTHOR READING & BOOK SIGNING, Saturday, Sept. 15th @ 10 am and 11:30-4, Provincetown Library's 3rd Annual Book Festival. www.provincetownbookfestival.org
- October 17, AUTHOR TALK & PRESENTATION, Nauset Garden Club, 1pm, Church of the Holy Spirit, Orleans. www.nausetgardenclub.com
- October 29th, AUTHOR TALK & PRESENTATION, Master Gardeners, 10am, Harwich Community Center, Harwich, Barnstable County Cooperative Extension's Master Gardeners Semi-Annual Meeting. www.capecodextension.org/aghort/mastergardener/
- November 17, Saturday, 1-4pm, BOOK SIGNING w/ The Booksmith @ the Eastham Turnip Festival, Nauset Regional High School. Eastham. www.easthamlibrary.org
- December 17, Sunday, 12-4 pm, BOOK SIGNING, Cape Museum of Art, part of the Dennis Christmas Stroll, Dennis.
G O O D P R E S S
Boston Globe- summer picks~ June 2018: www.boston.com/culture/travel/2018/06/06/how-to-do-cape-cod-on-a-budget
Cape Cod Home- Blueberry Fields Forever~ July 2018: capecodlife.com/blueberry-fields-forever/
Cape Cod Magazine- living the blueberry life~ June 2018: capecodmagazine.com/out-in-blue-fields-at-hokum-rock-blueberry-farm/
Cape Cod Times- summer reads~ July 2018: www.capecodtimes.com/entertainmentlife/20180715/suggestions-for-your-summer-reading-list
Edible Cape Cod- edible reads~ Summer Issue 2018: ediblecapecod.ediblecommunities.com/food-thought/edible-reads-summer-2018
Falmouth Enterprise- local authors~ July 2018: www.capenews.net/columns/gourmets-and-good-eaters-two-new-cookbooks-showcase-local-authors/article_2768f4c5-4845-57ca-bcfc-c36c63bee7e4.html
New England Living- blueberry bliss~ July 2018: newenglandliving.tv/blueberry-bliss/
Wellesley Magazine- Fresh Ink~ Summer Issue 2018: \magazine.wellesley.edu/summer-2018/farmer%E2%80%99s-year
Our heart-felt gratitude goes out to everyone who hosted and attended our author talks, book signings, and farm tours in 2018 & 2019, and to those of you who purchased our book and responded to it so graciously.
Please contact us if you'd like to schedule a visit to the farm, seek our advice on blueberries,
or invite us to give a talk, in person or virtually.
Janice & Steve